Scoots Disc Golf-O-Rama

Saturday, August 19, 2006

San Francisco Safari

I played in the San Francisco Safari this weekend, a tournament held annually in Golden gate park. I had signed up months ago and was looking forward to playing in another tournament before the end of the summer. The lowest division that they had was AM2 and so that is what I chose, and figured Gregg or someone else from Moraga would be playing that as well.

I arrived early on Saturday (7:30 AM) as I was unsure how long it would take to get to the course. It was pretty cold when I got there, and I met up with Shawn (a local guy who I met at Moraga and whom I saw in Napa as well) and chatted with him. We then headed over and registered and got our very nice t-shirt (see below). After a but, I then hooked up with Brain H. and we went out and threw a few of the holes. The course seemed pretty tight and yet some of the holes were short so it all leveled out. We even practiced throwing over the water and I was happy to say that my disc stayed dry.


I had not been playing as much recently as I started a new job, so the practice shots seemed to be going all over the place. I was not really worried about it, as I figured I was there to have fun and whatever happened it would be nice to play in a tournament so close to home (and NOT a Berkeley). I saw a number of local guys, or players from the weeklies including Scott Riley, Mack, Geo, Chika, Karen as well as the guys from Santa Cruz (including Marty, Rob, Ed) and others I had met along the way (such as Chris A., George, and a host of others). It is always good to catch up with folks you have not seen in awhile.

I started the tourney on the 9th hole of the "Mark's Meadow" course and rode over with Karen as she was set to start there as well. When I arrived at my hole a few of the guys were already there and so we practice putting and even threw a few shots at the basket. This did not prove to helpful to me as I threw both of my practice shots into trees and almost lost one (more on that in a minute). My putting seemed to be on though and that was good, as that gave me confidence that I would score well even if I hit a few trees which was bound to happen.

As I mentioned above, I hit two different trees with my practice drives. I shot my "Eye Roc" first and it hit a tree relatively close to the basket area and so I knew I could get a mid-range or putter to the hole. On my next shot I threw my new Crystal Buzz (the one I got in Santa Cruz), and it hit a tree only a 100 ft away and bounced into some bushes. I waited for my playing partners to throw and went to look for my discs. I found my first throw relatively easily, but as I was looking for my second one (the Buzz) I heard the horn go off that signaled the start to the tournament. I now started to get worried as I looked around some more and did not see it anywhere. I gave up for the time being and headed back to the tee to start the tournament. My mind was still on my lost disc, as I have never failed to get a disc back (unless it went in the water) and I figured I would look again after my drive. I got my drive down the fairway in good shape and so went off to continue my search for the lost disc. A few of the guys from my party tried to find it as well, but with no luck. Finally I had to go on and was upset that I lost this new disc and would not have it for the rest of the round.

I cruised along for the first few holes, each one seemed both challenging and yet easy enough to par (if you had a decent drive). I found myself getting pars with ease and even had a chance at an Ace, but my Wraith veered off at the last minute and I had to settle for a par when I missed my short 15 ft. putt. I was ok with that, given I was making most of my putts and this was only the 4th hole of the day and I knew I would get more chances. Plus par is always a good score for me, so I continued on. I was really having a good time and saw each new shot as a challenge, looking for the best way for me to throw it close to the pin or into an open area for a short upshot. I wasn't really concerned with my score and just out to have fun. This I think lead to my shooting well and finishing the first nine holes at par.

As the round continued though, I found this harder to do and eventually had a bad stretch where I took a couple of 5's. First I ran into a hole (#4) that I simply could not see a fairway or hole to throw threw - I stood on the tee and felt like I was bound to hit one of the trees in front of me, and I did. This was a long hole and I seemed to keep hitting trees and finished with a 5. On the next hole, I was up relatively close on my drive, but had a 30 ft. tree in between me and the basket. I figured I would throw a spike hyzer and land next to the basket, take my par and move on. Instead I threw my upshot 50 ft. up a tree to the right of the tree I was trying to miss and so took another 5. I had not even considered the possibility of getting caught in that tree, and felt pretty stupid for doing so, but oh well. Luckily I finished strong with 2 straight birdies and so ended up with a 58. Four over is a great tournament round for me and I felt really good heading into the afternoon.

Oh, after the round I asked again if a few of my playing partners could help me look for my lost disc (since we were now back where we started on hole 9). I had asked many people during the round if they had found/seen my disc with no luck and so I felt like it must be in a bad spot if no one had found it yet. Within 2 minutes of getting there Zack, a player from Humbolt found it 7 ft. up a tree and I have to say I was more excited to see that disc than I was for shooting well. I said thank you like a million times, and as I looked at the disc I noticed I had not even stopped to put my name on it - had anyone else found it I am sure they would have just kept it since there was no way to tell who it belonged to and was brand new. I am so glad to have my streak intact that I have never lost a disc not in the water.

Given my experience of almost losing a disc - I bought a couple of discs (another Crystal Buzz (173 grams) & Champion SL (166 grams) both with the tournament logo).


The afternoon round was at a different course, the West Course, and was a decent distance from the Tournament central area. I started on the 7th hole, which I did not realize at the time, meant that I was on the seventh card in the standings as well. I hoped that my good play of the first round would carry over into the second and it did as I started. This course had some water on it and unfortunately I would have to wait until the very end to throw the toughest water shot of the tournament, as we started on the hole directly after it - so I had all round to worry about what would happen when I got there.

As my second round got started, I did not find the course to be too difficult. I was able to make a few pars early on and the players I was playing with seemed a little better than the group I played with in the morning. Through the first 6-7 holes I was even par and it was not until I started on the back that I ran into trouble. I could feel myself getting tired from all the walking and throwing, much more than I usually do on my best day, and so I really had to focus on just having fun and doing the best I could. I got into a rut as we started the front nine (my back nine in terms of our round) and bogeyed 5 holes in a row. I just seemed to hit a tree here or there on the hole and just tried to minimize the damage. I didn't think it was the course so much as it was me being a little out of shape and getting mentally and physically tired.

Once we got to the last hole, I saw why people were complaining about how hard it was. The throw was a relatively long one and the landing area was obscured by large bushes and branches from a huge tree. We arrived and the group in front of us was also waiting while the group in front of them looked for their discs and played out the hole. I felt pretty beat and did not want to think about what kind of score I might end up with... When the group in front of us threw, 2 guys made it and one threw it over the water but to where no one could tell. Not a very good way to show us the way to play the hole. When they finally finished, it was our turn. I was last having been on the bogey train, so I watched as the three other players before me throw it into the water. I stepped up and tried to imagine my throw going straight to the opposite side of the lake, took a practice swing and threw it just as I planned and made it to within 30 ft. of the basket. I was so happy to have completed that throw and to have this afternoon round over with. The best player in our group threw 2 discs into the water before he finally made it to the shore for an 9 PP - yikes. He had been level par before that and I felt sorry for him as he had played really well and just messed up that one last throw.

With my round done I was anxious to get back to tournament central and see how others had finished. I met up with a few folks, Chika, Shawn, Brian, and Mack. I felt pretty happy with how my first day had gone and was looking forward to getting home and going to sleep. Although it had been a great day, I was very tired and needed to take my shoes off and relax - I knew tomorrow was another day and I was looking forward to seeing how well I could play tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home