Scoots Disc Golf-O-Rama

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Working with the Pros

I went to Santa Cruz today and worked at the Masters Cup Pro weekend, and got a chance to see the big boys play. I arrived at around 7:30 AM, and went to work sweeping off the outer tee pads (hole 8-19) and then worked the parking lot until about 12:00 PM. It was pretty easy and I got a chance to see most of the top men tee off. It was amazing how far they can throw and the strategies that each person took to the first hole. Some tried rollers, other low skipping shots - they certainly made it look easy.

After noon, I went and spotted on holes 20 and hole 22. I was there when all the main field came through; Climo, Feldberg, Doss and others. Usually they threw huge turnover shots, and some went right over the basket. I watched as some pros end up deep in the trees on the right, or get "roll aways" from 10 ft that caused them to take bogeys - so they are human after all.

I also saw the top woman come through, and while they might not have throw as far as the men, they were just as accurate. The woman seemed to be so much more supportive and rooting for each other, while the top men didn't seem to say much if anything and be very workmen like. Many pros thanked me for volunteering and spotting for them - which I thought was very nice.

After I was done I had the chance to sit and chat with Ken Climo. He was extremely nice (and signed my hat) and discussed his round of -12 (now that is some awesome shooting given the course set-up). Seeing him in person, I was surprised by how fit this guys is - he is in shape. He reminded me of a volleyball player in terms of his build, long and lanky. Dave Feldberg played well in the holes I watched, but I did not see how he finished. I know Nate was in third, but was over 10 shots back.



I had a great time and was happy to help Marty out with the event. Next year I would like to go a couple of days to watch the ending, but for this year one day was enough. I got a ton of sun and really I could not help but marvel at how easy this level of player makes the game seem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home