Scoots Disc Golf-O-Rama

Friday, June 09, 2006

Another great trip to DeLa

I went to DeLa in Santa Cruz today and played a couple of practice rounds. The first one I shot a decent +12 round by myself and then played a second round with a couple of local players. There was Ed, the VP of the club and someone I met when I volunteered at the Pro Master's Cup. I also played with a young gun named Chris and Rob who sells discs out of the white van, and finally Mark (a local guy who I have seen a numerous events and has a great throwing form).

On my second round I had two of my best par saves ever on this course. The first was on hole #10 with the pin in the very back position, when I hit a tree on the right side of the fairway and bounced/landed relatively deep on the left hand-side and under the brush. I three a side arm shot through a small opening and which landed some 100 ft. away and right under the basket for a drop in par.

Hole #12 has gotten the better of me ever since they moved it back to the long position and now it is back and right, which may be even tougher. Well my drive was decent, straight up the fairway but somewhat short. Ed suggested that I throw it down the fairway to the end and let it drift to the left at the finish. I laughed, as I have not demonstrated the ability to shoot that shot and told the group so... but I gave it a shot and my Star TL did just as Ed suggested (to my great surprise). I had about a 15 ft. putt and after making it for par I can only hope that it served to get rid of the demons that seemed to plague me on this hole.

Otherwise it was a great day in Santa Cruz and this course continues to be my favorite for both the quality of the people you get to play with and the shots that are required to play well. I only wish I could play it more often. I bought a bag tag to help support the course and look forward to the chance to play and get a lower one in the weeks ahead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home