Scoots Disc Golf-O-Rama

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Master's Cup 2007 - Final day

Well I was playing well, and putting well, until the second to last hole. I ended up shooting a +16, but took a 8 on the 26th hole to really mess up my final round. I was happy to play well and while I did not putt as good as I did yesterday, I scored much better. I had more birdies and was on pace to be around my score of yesterday of +12, when disaster struck.

Kristin had come up to watch me finish before heading home and caught up to our group on the 24th hole. I had been playing well and pared the 24th hole and had a nice drive and birdied the 25th hole, throwing well up that huge hill and making a long putt.

I stepped the the 26th tee knowing that I had parred it the last 2 days despite having poor drives. I wanted to drive it down the middle and not put so much pressure on my up shot, but instead held onto to a bit long and it hit a tree and took a very unfortunate kick. After everyone else threw, we went to look for my disc. Searching for a few minutes, I decided to go back and re-tee in case we could not find it, and then keep looking to speed up play. I wanted to throw this one just out in the middle somewhere, but instead it caught a gust of wind and blew well to the left and into the trees. At the time I thought that was ok, I had been there both previous days and managed par.

We kept searching or my first disc and I finally found it well down the hill on the right and so called it unplayable. I could never hope to get out of the spot I was in and so took my provisional. After climbing up the hill, I went to look for that one and expected it to be a little off to the left (and lying 3). What I found was that it had rolled some 200 ft, all the way down to the 25th tee, and would require 2 "thumbers" to get back to the fairway. So after the long hike and taking 5 shots, I was 100 ft. from the basket and hoping to make a 7.

I kept my cool through all of this and figured it was almost over and I was well out of contention, but still I didn't want to finish this way! My up shot landed about 20 feet from the pin and I missed the putt for an 8p - ouch! My drive on "top of the world" was not as good as the previous day when I easily pared, so I ended the tournament with a bogey and +16.

Still the tournament was a ton of fun and got me more excited to play and work on my game. Here is a link to the final scores. I am in the Male Intermediate Open Division

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home